Home is where the heart is, but sometimes medical complications keep us away. Hospitals and other care facilities do their best, but there is no substitute for the comfort of home.
What is Aging in Place?
The term refers to a trend of senior citizens remaining at home rather than moving to a retirement home or senior living facility. Often, the home will require some modification to be safe, comfortable, and convenient. That’s where Hampton Roads Mobility comes in.
Thanks to our accessibility equipment and mobility enhancing services, residents all over Hampton Roads are choosing to age in place. We provide wheelchair ramps, stairlifts (chair lifts), and more, so that the house still feels like home for countless individuals in Hampton, Newport News, Virginia Beach, Norfolk, and Chesapeake.
The benefits of aging in place extend beyond comfort-the cost of modifying your home (bathroom grab bars, front door ramp, staircase chair lift) are actually less than that of an extended hospital stay or residence at an assisted living facility.
How does Aging in Place work?
By making minor adjustments to your home, car, and outdoors areas, you may open up your future to some truly golden years, spent in the sunshine of your loving home and family.
In the house:
- Install grab bars in the bathroom to prevent falls or slips.
- Convert your shower to a zero-entry shower, which is flush with the floor and contains a small bench and flexible shower head.
- Remodel your kitchen to include lowered countertops, open spaces beneath surfaces, side-hinge ovens or microwaves, and lower cabinets for easy reaching.
- Install a stairlift to navigate smoothly from top to bottom floors, and vice versa.
- Add a ramp to your home and try complementary colors, gradual sloping, or some garden accents to really make the ramp a part of your home. It’s more than a functional structure, it’s a bridge allowing you to gracefully age in place.
- Paved walkways, raised gardens, and shad-lending accents can be used to create a beautiful, restful space in your yard, which is also totally wheelchair accessible.
In the car:
- Board and disembark your vehicle with ease once more, with the help of our valet seat, which rotates to face the door for quick and easy movement.
- Take back your power with left-foot gas pedals, perfect for amputees or those who have suffered a stroke or nerve damage.
- Hand controls are a godsend for anyone without the use of either foot or leg. Known for its comfort, safety, and precision, our hand controls help you get behind the wheel again.
- A wheelchair docking system secures your chair to the car floor easily. Get on the road and get where you’re going, faster.
- Steering wheel accessories are available for installation by our experienced technicians as well.
How do I get started Aging in Place?
It’s simple-call Hampton Roads Mobility at 757-663-5457. Our knowledgeable technicians are standing by to help you reclaim your independence, privacy, and comfort.